Here is a list of publications from the Bit by Bit and 3DP-RDM projects. Links are provided to open access copies of the papers in addition to the final publications wherever possible.
- Distributed Manufacturing: scope, challenges and opportunities Jagjit Singh Srai, Mukesh Kumar, Gary Graham, Wendy Phillips, James Tooze, Simon Ford, Paul Beecher, Baldev Raj, Mike Gregory, Manoj Kumar Tiwari, B. Ravi, Andy Neely, Ravi Shankar, Fiona Charnley and Ashutosh Tiwari (2016) International Journal of Production Research, In Press [Publisher]
- Additive manufacturing and sustainability: an exploratory study of the advantages and challenges Simon Ford and Mélanie Despeisse (2016) Journal of Cleaner Production, In Press [Publisher].
- Defining the research agenda for 3D printing-enabled re-distributed manufacturing Simon Ford and Tim Minshall (2015) in Umeda, S., Nakano, M., Mizuyama, H., Hibino, H., Kiritsis, D. and von Cieminski, G. (eds) Advances in Production Management Systems: Innovative Production Management Towards Sustainable Growth, Berlin: Springer, 156-164 [Publisher].
- The Role of Additive Manufacturing in Improving Resource Efficiency and Sustainability Mélanie Despeisse and Simon Ford (2015) in Umeda, S., Nakano, M., Mizuyama, H., Hibino, H., Kiritsis, D. and von Cieminski, G. (eds) Advances in Production Management Systems: Innovative Production Management Towards Sustainable Growth, Berlin: Springer, 129-136 [Publisher].
- Economic Implications of Additive Manufacturing and the Contribution of MIS Frédéric Thiesse, Marco Wirth, Hans-Georg Kemper, Michelle Moisa, Dominik Morar, Heiner Lasi, Frank Piller, Peter Buxmann, Letizia Mortara, Simon Ford and Tim Minshall (2015) Business & Information Systems Engineering, 57(2), 139-148 [Publisher].
Working papers, conference papers and articles under review
- How Do Fab-Spaces Enable Entrepreneurship? Case Studies of ‘Makers’ Who Became Entrepreneurs Letizia Mortara and Nicolas Parisot (2016). Accepted for publication in the International Journal of Manufacturing Technology and Management.
- Through entrepreneurs’ eyes: the Fab-spaces constellation Letizia Mortara and Nicolas Parisot (2016). Accepted for publication in the International Journal of Production Research.
- Commercialising advanced material processing technology for additive manufacturing: the case of Metalysis Sarah Lubik, Simon Ford and Mélanie Despeisse (2016) R&D Management Conference, 3-6 July, Cambridge UK.
- Unlocking value for a circular economy through 3D printing: a research agenda Mélanie Despeisse, Martin Baumers, Phil Brown, Fiona Charnley, Simon Ford, Alysia Garmulewicz, Scott Knowles, Tim Minshall, Letizia Mortara, Felix Reed-Tsochas and Jonathan Rowley (2016). Under review in Technological Forecasting & Social Change.
- Implementation of Additive Manufacturing Technologies for Mass Customisation Dominik Deradjat and Tim Minshall (2016) Under review in the Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management.
- Product life extension through additive manufacturing: The business model implications Mélanie Despeisse, Simon Ford and Anna Viljakainen (2016).
- Extending product life through additive manufacturing: The sustainability implications Simon Ford, Mélanie Despeisse and Anna Viljakainen (2015) Global Conference on Cleaner Production and Sustainable Consumption, Sitges, Spain, 1-4 November 2015.
Special issue of Technological Forecasting and Social Change on “The Emergence of Additive Manufacturing“
Guest editors: Simon Ford, Letizia Mortara and Tim Minshall
- The Emergence of Additive Manufacturing: Introduction to the Special Issue Simon Ford, Letizia Mortara and Tim Minshall [ResearchGate]
- The non-disruptive emergence of an ecosystem for 3D Printing — Insights from the hearing aid industry’s transition 1989–2008 Christian Sandström
- Investigating the feasibility of supply chain-centric business models in 3D chocolate printing: A simulation study Fu Jia, Xiaofeng Wang, Navonil Mustafee and Liang Hao
- The complementarity of openness: How MakerBot leveraged Thingiverse in 3D printing Joel West and George Kuk
- Additive manufacturing for consumer-centric business models: Implications for supply chains in consumer goods manufacturing Marcel Bogers, Ronen Hadar and Arne Bilberg
- From rapid prototyping to home fabrication: How 3D printing is changing business model innovation Thierry Rayna and Ludmila Striukova
- An alignment approach for an industry in the making: DIGINOVA and the case of digital fabrication Michael Potstada, Alireza Parandian, Douglas K.R. Robinson and Jan Zybura
- The cost of additive manufacturing: machine productivity, economies of scale and technology-push Martin Baumers, Phill Dickens, Chris Tuck and Richard Hague